Laminate flooring threshold question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My first try at laying laminate flooring (in the dining room) and just doing my research and prep before attacking the task.
I'm happy about how to approach most of it, but was hoping for some advice on how i should approach my thresholds, as they are not standard.

We have sliding doors from the dining room into both the kitchen and lounge.
There is a wooden threshold that joins both rooms, that the runners of the doors are in.
When i leave the expansion gap, I obviously can't use standard trim to cover the gap and wondering what options i have??
Only thing i can think of is cutting and removing the wooden threshold apart from the bit the runner guides are in, and using a normal threshold?

(Bad) Photos attached to try and show what i mean.

Thanks in advanced

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-22 at 09.26.29.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-10-22 at 09.26.21.jpeg

Sponsored Links
That should work but you may have difficulty getting extra long thresholds as they tend to be around 900mm and your doors look wider?

Yes definitely wider than 90cm.
Ive looked closer tonight and it looks like the bottom runner for each door is just a 25mm bit of plastic screwed into the wood, so I think I can remove those wooden thresholds (removing the doors first) and replace with new thresholds.
Only downside is I'm going to have to join 2 thresholds but can see a way around that.

On commercial floors in offices they use joining strips several metre long so they do exist.

Sponsored Links
I've done pretty much the same as you in our lounge but in an arrangement with french doors. I cut out the existing wood threshold (which turned out to be a pain as there was some steel reinforcement), laid the laminate either side and fitted a new threshold. You can buy 2.7m laminate T-bars, but I fitted a real wood (oak) threshold I bought at a local timber merchant.

Your setup at the sliding door sounds more complex though, because (i) it might be difficult to cut/free the existing threshold below the doors (can you remove them?) and (ii) because it sounds like the threshold is the rolling surface for the door, so you'd need to find something equally suitable as a replacement.

(An alternative approach I had been thinking about was the following: As our existing threshold was much higher than the laminate floor would be, I thought about grinding (with a rotary tool) a small recess at floor height into the threshold to accommodate the expansion gap - similar to what you do when undercutting architraves at doorways. Whether this would have worked or not, I don't know, but for sure I would have needed to start laying boards from the threshold outwards.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back