Do you always NEED threshold strips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to lay laminate flooring in my living room, dining room and the 2m hallway that connects the two. Is there a reason why I must put threshold strips in both the living and dining room doorways or can I just run the flooring through?

Sponsored Links
I don't think you need threshold strips, and should be ok to continue through each room.

Does the instructions mention anything?

Thanks for the reply. There's nothing about it in the instructions. I'm just wondering if there's some floor laying gospel that I'd be damning myself to break. "You must have strips or X will happen" type thing.

Thanks for the reply. There's nothing about it in the instructions. I'm just wondering if there's some floor laying gospel that I'd be damning myself to break. "You must have strips or X will happen" type thing.

Not sure about that, but sure someone with more experience will chime in

Sponsored Links
You can get away with running it through. But laminate expands at different rates depending on temperature an humidity.
So running it through can cause it to buckle in doorways. Seen it happen on a few jobs.
You can buy quickstep Incizo Doortrims which match well an don't stick up to much.

As Dazlight says, they should be fitted, if you choose not to fit them, be prepared to fit them if the floor does move. Undercut the architraves and be sure to allow as much expansion as possiblet o give yourself a fair chance.

Of course, the dreaded expansion issue! I didn't think of that! I'd be laying laminate end to end over some 25 feet so I can see how that's cause for concern.
Thanks for the advice, I think I will put th strips in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back