Laminate on kitchens?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to have laminate flooring on kitchens?
B&Q told me it's OK and most of what they have is suitable for kitchen as well.

Just wondering if it's prone to water damage or something?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the laminate has been designed for kitchens it will say so. Not all laminate is suitable, so each type will specify the room(s) its suitable for. It should also be backed by some warranty/guarantee I would of thought (but that's probably dependant on many things that they'll use to get out of paying/replacing :mad:).

a mate of mine did his kitchen in laminate when it was all the rage. After a leak in his washing machine the whole floor ended up worthless, de-laminated and warped. Must've been lounge grade!

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
@superstardeejay thanks for that. there was some woman in the carpet shop who said the same in effect.
just wondering now if i should be brave enough to laminate. we've not had a leak ever from washing machine... but do have an existing problem with sink - soon to be fixed.

Sponsored Links
Only laminate I fit in kitchens is quickstep Impressive. Has hydro seal built in so can take water on top.

You can get laminate sealants that you apply to the edges as you join them, and that seals the top from water ingress, but that doesn't stop a water leak that goes down the back and under the laminate, but that type are pretty infrequent. I'm not convinced that even the "kitchen" grade laminates are truly waterproof, but I have fitted it to kitchens. But laminate is cold, and will chill the kitchen slightly, so keep that in mind as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back