Laminate over T&G Floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother is getting a company in to refurbish his floors by getting rid of the old 70's carpet and installing a laminate wood floor in it's place.

The only thing is that under the carpet there are perfectly good floorboards, without any visible woodworm etc I reckon it would take a weekend's worth of sanding and a few coats of varnish to get them looking great.

My brother tells me his laminate-laying company have rejected the idea of renovating the floorboards, saying that laminate is a much better, harder-wearing surface. I think this opinion is a load of old pants, and my brother would be mad to cover up real wood with laminate. My brother is not convinced.

So is there any sense to covering T&G floorboards with laminate?

Sponsored Links
Sapper said:
So is there any sense to covering T&G floorboards with laminate?

Depends. If it's on the ground floor in an 'old' house the floorboards are what in modern houses now is the concrete underfloor. Underneath the old floorboards you'll have your ventilation area. Normally meaning: draft!

If you're not that bothered with draft, yes, then you can sand the floorboards and seal (lacquer or oil) the boards. But 9 out of 10 times the boards are made of pine = softwood and will dent, damage very easily.

I for one wouldn't go for laminated (plastic) flooring anyway, but that's me in the Natural Wooden Flooring business ;) Wood-Engineered flooring is much better, nicer and adds more value to your house than laminated flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back