Problem with height gap between two rooms (laminate)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I lay laminate in my living room I need a little advice how to cover the gap between the room and the adjoining kitchen.

There is a 2-3 centimeter gap between the kitchen laminate and the top of the floorboards from the living room so a reducer is no good.

The door frame also has a lot of depth as it used to be an external door before the extensions were all tacked on to the back. It actually goes the length of the actual floorboards, meaning there is about a 20cm lenght of floorboard past the living room door, effectively in the kitchen but at the height of the living room.

Basically then I'm at a loss how to reduce the gap. Do I laminate right through to the edge of the floor boards and try and get a wood piece to cover? Or do I laminate to the living room door and try and get a piece of wood the right depth with a lip on the end to cover the gap (don't even know if this is possible? Or is there some better way to do it?

Room 1 is the living room. Room 2 is the kitchen.

View media item 8589

Sponsored Links
If you aren't taking the flooring through into the lower room ,
you could get a hardwood threshold as wide as the door frame (usually 4 or 5 inches wide )and the length of the opening (2ft 6in, usually) and have a 10mm rebate put on bottom edge of the length of the piece of wood and the tuck the laminate flooring under that .

A done job

yes you could do ,

but i would go to local timber merchant and see what they have ,and then see if they have a list off chippies they recommend and see if one can fit you one ,

personally i would just get one to cover maybe 6 ins wide .

if not somewhere they cut timber to size , and ask if they could rebate it for you , then all you have to do is cut it to the door frame , with a nice tight fit .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back