Laminate question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been laying a laminate floor over concrete where the whole row needs connecting lengthwise before locking into the boards already laid. I have also been gluing the joins.

Fitting around the door frames was quite tricky and I have noticed that one of the joins hasn't quite slotted in - its not open but it slightly raised - but I have since glued and fixed a couple of further rows so unpicking it isn't practical.

Question is - do I just leave this and hope it stays put or is there another remedy?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have a few helpers, it is possible.
You will need to lift the whole floor up, so you can put a lath of timber or something like that just beyond the joint you wish to undo so you can clip it back right.
It will take a few hands to do this as you will need to release this joint by lift and lowering the section, using the timber as a pivot.
Once the joint has released and it should. You will then need to clean the glue off the joint reglue and re-clip the whole section in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks PrenticeBoy. Part of the floor is under the door frame now which might be a problem - but are you saying lift the floor - pop the joint out and then refix ~ assuming the glue will allow?

Thanks PrenticeBoy. Part of the floor is under the door frame now which might be a problem - but are you saying lift the floor - pop the joint out and then refix ~ assuming the glue will allow?
I am but you will need a length of timber on just past the joint to use as rocker/pivot to help you (and friends) to tease the joint away.
This is providing you can't use a pull bar or knocking block to snap the joint in place.
I can't see the gap in the joint and can't say for sure if it critical or even noticable if it were not sorted, but the choice is really yours.

Thanks PB. The floors not complete so we could 'easily' lift the floor as suggested and the good news is that it seemed pretty solid. The downside of that is that because the joins have all been glued the length that is not quite locked in has remained solidly that way.

So worth a try but as you say its not critical - and may only be noticeble to anyone but me(!). What I am proposing to do is run a bead of glue along the partly open joint partly to halp secure it and also assist with water resistance.

Let me know if that sounds daft

How big is the gap and what room is it serving?
I was thinking may be you could fill in the gap either with wood filler, you may be able to get a colour match to your floor.
of use the silicon sealers, they also can be colour matched.

Quite small - a few mm - just wanted something to help hold it steady and prevent water ingress

I'll expermiment on some off cuts to see what works best

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back