Laminate replacing carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering removing a carpet and putting down laminate instead. The underlying floor is concrete slab.

1) Is it a good idea to leave the carpet underlay in place and lay the laminate over it?

2) Am I right in thinking I should I remove the carpet grippers?

3) I've never installed laminate before but I'm quite good with simple DIY. The room is 'L' shaped. Can I do it myself or should I call in a carpenter?

4) Part of the room has a slight dip where a fireplace used to be. What should I use to raise up this section slightly? Would just putting down some thin plywood under the underlay be OK? Or would several thicknesses of old newspaper under the underlay be OK?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
if you have good diy skills and the right tools then you wont have any problems
what diy skills and woodwork related tasks have you taken on [which include cutting the wood ]??

Far better to remove the carpet, underlay and grippers then start again with the correct underlayment for laminate flooring.
Carpet underlay isn't meant for laminate flooring.

Sponsored Links
Definitely remove the underlay and use the proper stuff.
I did not and it was bad enough to make you sea-sick when walking on it.
Had to lift and re-do the lot.
Try a bit of self levelling screed for the fireplace problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back