Landing for Stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am going to fit some new stairs and was wondering how to interpret the rules on landings for stairs next to doors. K 1.18 Diagram 7 (Draft 2013 Edition)

I have spoken to building control and as I am not really changing the stair location there shouldn't be a problem however the rules are a little ambiguous in this example.

My front door is runs parallel to the bottom rung of the stairs 1000mm away, it opens inwards however the door is offset with the door opening away from stairs. This means that the arc of the door does not pass within the 400mm area.

I have added a picture as it is very hard to explain.

As the door does not encroach into the shaded area do you think this complies with the regs? [/img]

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The "current" Approved Document K, paragraph 1.16 says that doors may open across landings only if there is a clear space of 400mm.

In your picture, the door does not open across the landing, and the 400mm clear space will always be maintained.

To my knowledge, this guidance does not change within the new draft document, although the explanation is simplified by diagram only.

As such, this situation is, imo, acceptable.

As a side note, if you have already lodged an application with building control (or will do prior to the new regulations coming into force later this year) then your work will be judged under the current guidance documents.

:rolleyes:

As the door does not encroach into the shaded area do you think this complies with the regs?

It's fine.

If you are going down the BR route, just make sure the new staircase also complies with the regulations in terms or rise, going, pitch, handrail, balusters, headroom, etc...

Surely if you are merely replacing an existing stair then as long as you don't make it worse then building regs are irrelevant.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I also believe it complies but nice to have some other opinions.

The stairs are not changing much but there are some supple changes which ironically will make the stairs conform as they currently don't, I.e. decreasing number of steps form 14 to 13 so the tread is larger. I want the new stairs to be completely compliant hence the question.

I am aware of the regs for the other detail, as is the joiner who is making the stairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back