Landing light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently bought a house and the landing light wont work , Ive changed the bulb and the light fitting , both upstairs and down stairs switches seem to be wired up correctly , when i put the multimeter on the celling rose i get 240v when i turn the switch on , cant work it out , help please !!! .

Sponsored Links
If you get 240V between the terminals to which the lamp is connected it will work.

I think a few more details are required.

Pictures of the rose and switch wiring may help.

What did you measure the Voltage between ?? L/N or L/Earth ?

If Live/Earth you may not have a Neutral there , possobly a loose connection in another Rose - check the Wiring Layout in the Loft ?

Maybe a dodgy Lampholder ?

Lucky

Sponsored Links
Didn't you test for 230 volts between live and neutral?

Could be a neutral fault.

Just try to see , where the feed comes up from Downstairs , then work out which is the 1st Light it feeds , then check the Roses (or jbs in the Loft) , it should be the one before the Landing Light , if all the others are ok , Possibly the Landing Light is the last Light on the Circuit

Lucky

No Lucky im out of it now , no reading on the nuetral , when i put the nuetral to earth the light works as it should , when i was in the loft traceing the wires the nuetral wire goes down into a stud wall, but low and behold its not even conected to anything !!

No Lucky im out of it now , no reading on the nuetral , when i put the nuetral to earth the light works as it should , when i was in the loft traceing the wires the nuetral wire goes down into a stud wall, but low and behold its not even conected to anything !!

I hope you haven't left it like that? :eek:

I take it you mean connected to the earth , no i haven't , its all turned off now i'm not living at the house yet , so where does the lose neutral go to then ???

You should never connect anything other than an earth to the earth.

Dunno about the neutral. You'll have to trace it and find out.

It may go down the Stud wall to a Switch , where the Neutral may have been joined up with a Neutral from the Lighting Circuit , if work has been done a Connector may have have come loose/broken and the Neutral (Single ?) may have been "lost" in the Studding ???

Anyway if you have a Single Cable in the Loft , why not send it back to one of the other Roses on the Upstairs Lighting to pick up a Neutral for the Landing Light , it should work then .......

I`d also try to find where the Neutral finished in the Studwork , in case any termination of loose Wire(s) is required.

Lucky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back