Landlord certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all,
My daughter has vacated her house and is hoping to rent. Had a check completed by Electrician, who gave us a list of required jobs in order to satisfy the certificate. I would like to understand a bit better what is required so here goes. I will get an Electrician in to do what is necessary and only do myself what I am able to do.
Consumer is older Wylex with MCB's

List of requirements :
1. No RCD protection to ground floor socket.
2. MCB holder broken to shower
3. Sockets not ring circuit overloaded on 32A MCB
4. Bathroom bonding not adequate
5. Earth tag main earth block

My understanding of rework
1. Swap 2 gang socket at kitchen door for one incorporating RCD.
2. Replace base or complete MCB
3. ? Only appears to be one ring circuit.
4. I understand a 4mm earth cable bonds the radiator, to the pipework under the basin then the pipework under the bath. Does it then have to enter the shower unit. ? ( Elec shower over bath )
5. ?

Any info would be apreciated, even the parts I will not do I will have an idea on the potential damage to decoration etc.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Graham,

Point 1 - you need to protect all the groundfloor sockets, not just one.
Point 3 is that the sockets are NOT on a ring circuit (possibly due to past modifications) so the 32A MCB will allow the cable/s to be overloaded. This needs further investigation and rectification
Point 4 - impossible to say without knowing more, but it sounds like the pipes are bonded but only to each other and not to the electrical installation in the zones.
Point 5 - ? also. But earthing defects are not to be taken lightly.

I think the least you should consider doing is getting a qualified spark to install a split load consumer unit. This will involve rectifying the defects and notifying the work to Building Control.

1. ideally all the ground floor sockets need protection (sockets "that could possible supply outdoor equipment"). You could get away with just the sockets by the doors, but it depends how thorough your certifying spark is! If you're doing the whole circuit (best option), a centrally located RCD is cheaper. Get a spark to fit this, after he has mended no. 3

2. Just needs a new MCB and base - afaik, you can do this yourself without notifying

A word of adivce - a shiny new Consumer unit would solve 1, 2 and 3, as well as affording RCD protection to other circuits which need it!

4. A 4mm² earth wire needs to be run between the shower, lights and pipework.

5. :eek: sounds like you may be lacking an earth full stop. Get a spark in ASAP to correct this.

Number 5 could mean the metal tag/label thats supposed to be attached to the MET and says something like "SAFETY ELECTRICAL CONNECTION, DO NOT REMOVE"

Sponsored Links
Agree with dingbat, no3 sounds like there may be spurs on spurs, a broken ring or an incorrectly fused radial etc, requires additional investigation by a competent spark. A shiny new CU will not solve this, although before the spark issues the EIC it should be solved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back