Landscaping sleepers for cordwood shed frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've bought 24 x 3.6m landscaping sleepers with the intention of building a (luxury) potting shed. They're treated but mixed softwood, 100x200.

I want to build a chunky shed frame from them, possibly constructing the walls from cordwood. We live in a conservation area and would like something to enhance the property more than a standard shiplap shed would do.

Anything stopping me from using these sleepers? I fear there's a glaringly obvious reason why they're not suitable.

Sponsored Links
Mainly the huge cost difference, weight of working with them above waist height and the fact that you will need to machine them to form some kind of waterproof profile.

I would imagine you could buy very nice cedar cladding for the cost of all those sleepers.

Sorry just reread and see you want to use them for the frame. Good quality treated 6x2 would be much easier to work with and plenty strong. Sleepers will only be 3m maximum length plus cutting them is slow and importantly 6x2 will be relatively straight as sleepers hold so much water they can shrink significantly and twist a lot as they dry right out.

If you like though to me there is no obvious reason not too apart from the above.

Ok so mainly just the practicalities then.

These sleepers are actually 3.6m in length. Realise it's overkill for the job but want it looking rustic. As long as I brace the frame together properly any movement or twisting shouldn't affect the structure and would add to the character. They're mixed softwood so cutting them will be easier than if they were oak for example. As long as it'll last 20+ years I'll be happy.

Making the walls 20cm deep will give me the chance to fill with Cordwood - I've got a big pile of logs, half green and half dried which I've been saving for this.

Sponsored Links
so cutting them will be easier

Yeah...well relatively - depends on what you're going to use to cut them - most circular saws have a cut depth limit of around 6cm so you're going to be looking at handsaw or chainsaw for any through cuts.

Yeah...well relatively - depends on what you're going to use to cut them - most circular saws have a cut depth limit of around 6cm so you're going to be looking at handsaw or chainsaw for any through cuts.

Hmm - I've got a 305mm 'double bevel sliding compound' mitre saw which I was planning to use for the basic cuts (goes straight through like a knife in butter) but assumed I'd have to make a jig & use a hand saw for any half-dovetails. Thinking about it a jig with a chainsaw sounds the best option for dovetails? I do have a smaller hand circular saw & a chainsaw but only used it for the first time the other day to break up the old shed. :D

If you're going to dovetail the sleepers you've got your work cut out but the circular saw should be up to the job...you're going to want some good sharp chisels though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back