pad foundations for a relocatable building

jso

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm soon to take delivery of a 24' X 9' second hand site office, for use as an office in the garden.
It's replacing an existing steel and aluminium shed [which was originally the back of an old United Carriers lorry - the kind with a rear roller door and two side roller doors]. This currently stands on wooden sleepers, which I'm also removing, on some slightly raised ground on the edge of a paddock.
I'm assuming the back of the cabin will need not much more than paving slabs placed on what I also assume will be well-compacted soil - there are some basalt road chippings mixed in with the soil, and it seem quite solid.
However, the front elevation of the cabin - since its three feet wider than the existing "shed" - will be further forward than the line of the existing structire, from which the ground falls away to the paddock.

What will I need to do to provide a firm pad for the jack legs at the front of the new building?
Build up a brick/block pier through the sloping paddock soil to support a paving slab (presumably the pier built on a suitable pad foundation itself), or just stack up some levelled paving slaps cut into the slope, then rely on the jack legs extending far enough to make up the difference as well as dealing with the final levelling? (which is obviously what they're intended to do.)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Which would be strongest? Blocks or bricks? If blocks, can I lay them flat, and if so would still they need a paving slab on the top to take the jackleg?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Newboy.

Next dumb questions:
1. Depth of concrete pad?
2. A stack of single blocks, or alternating pairs? I might need piers to be 2' high.
3. How crucial is the mortar mix? I wouldn't want to compromise the inherent strength of the blocks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back