had a plan but i'm getting confused....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you may know i've been weighing up a timber/concrete base for my log cabin which is due in 2 weeks time. I was going along the route of concrete however i'm been deterred by the risk of a wet concrete slab = wet log cabin.

I'm going with my original idea of resting a timber frame on timber pads, which are resting on top of paving slabs.

I will dig down at metre intervals around the perimeter, put in some compacted hardcore followed by mortar then a level paving slab, to which the timber pad will sit on, followed by timber frame sitting on the pad.

I have been looking online and it looks like some people literally just put breeze blocks on top of soil and rest the timber frame on these, as per pic below.

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 20.45.41.png

Question:

Can someone advise what the correct method is? Do i have to dig down or should i just get some breeze blocks, put them on the soil and rest the frame on these?

I have two ideas:

1. dig down, hardcore, mortar bed, paving slab, DPC, timber pad, timber frame resting on top

2. dig down, hardcore, sharp sand, concrete/breeze block, DPC, timber frame resting on top

Which option, if suitable??

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Never done it my self but I would think a combination, 2 with some mortar replacing the sand. I would avoid breeze block that is pretty soft and prone to spalling and go for concrete.

Never done it my self but I would think a combination, 2 with some mortar replacing the sand. I would avoid breeze block that is pretty soft and prone to spalling and go for concrete.

cheers, i thought that breeze block and concrete blocks were pretty much the same?

Traditional breeze blocks are dark grey made up of clinker from furnaces quite soft and open in texture.

Thermalite blocks are good insulators but about as tough as stale bread!

Concrete blocks are very hard and in many types suitable for use below DPC level.
People tend to use the term breeze a bit like Thermos or Hoover when talking about blockwork.;)

Sponsored Links
Traditional breeze blocks are dark grey made up of clinker from furnaces quite soft and open in texture.

Thermalite blocks are good insulators but about as tough as stale bread!

Concrete blocks are very hard and in many types suitable for use below DPC level.
People tend to use the term breeze a bit like Thermos or Hoover when talking about blockwork.;)

Thanks for your help again. So something like these, on top of a bed of mortar. I can crack the block in half to save on costs as I wont need the whole width of block, or will that compromise stability? Should I use the whole block to rest timber frame on?

https://www.diy.com/departments/top...block-l-440mm-w-300mm/898153_BQ.prd?rrec=true

The ones pilsbury suggest are the type to go for(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back