Laptop problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a refurbished laptop on Ebay, managed to get it connected to my home broadband but can't get online because Google sends me texts saying my account needs verification.
So i send for the verification code and when it arrives i send it to Google but it doesn't work.
I tried a couple of times before i noticed that these verification codes are being sent from a mobile phone number, so i rang the numbers and they turn out to be Tesco mobile phone accounts, every verification code appears to be coming from a different mobile number.
This doesn't sound right, do i need to have this laptop looked at be experts to find out if it has been comprised or has a virus or something else.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
For a start, what sort of laptop (make/model/OS)?
Is this a Chromebook?
If this was a Windows machine, Google has nothing to do with you getting online.

Last edited:
On another device. Login in your Google account and look at devises listed.
You can only have 10 devices linked to any Google account.
Remove and you don't use like old phones or pcs.

Next check the 2 factor settings. Where is the verification code being sent. Check that is correct. Guess you have mobile phone number text from Google.
Also laptop might show as a device but something wrong. Remove and start again

Sponsored Links
Hi,
For a start, what sort of laptop (make/model/OS)?
Is this a Chromebook?
If this was a Windows machine, Google has nothing to do with you getting online.
Its a chromebook.
This is the description.
Samsung Chromebook Laptop 11.6" Silver 16GB SSD 2GB RAM Webcam WiFi Chrome OS

Its a chromebook.
This is the description.
Samsung Chromebook Laptop 11.6" Silver 16GB SSD 2GB RAM Webcam WiFi Chrome OS
Good, then that makes more sense :)
If you haven't yet installed any software, it might be worth trying a full factory restore:
And then try sorting out your account.
At least with Chromebook, the probability of having a virus is a lot less than with a windows PC.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back