laptop shuts itself down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new Toshiba laptop in February. I don't use it all that much, perhaps a couple of times a week. Ocasionally it just shuts down for no apparent reason. I am using it on a desk top and it doesn't feel hot underneath as quoted in the trouble shooting leaflet. It has just done it after about 3minutes use. It is connected to the mains. Can anyone shed some light please?

Sponsored Links
Does it actually shut down or could it be going into standby/sleep/hibernate mode giving the appearance of shut down?

In my opinion it should not shut down after a few minutes after being mains connected unless the software settings have been changed to make it do this. It is also possible of course that battery is faulty or not being charged.

Mine and any others I have tried do feel quite warm/hot underneath

My Toshiba laptop will last for a couple of hours not connected to mains. You can also expect battery to loose charge over a period of time when unused so it could be that yours is acting normally - should be info somewhere to give you an expected life between usage.

As it is new purchase I think I would check with supplier and also look on Toshiba site for details

No promises on this - remove the battery then replace it.

Last year we bought a Toshiba A100 Notebook - suddenly it shut down and would not start up... Uni' IT bods reckoned 'twas dead.
I removed the battery, just out of idle curiousity (simple thing to do) replaced it and the m/c has run faultlessly since... No one knows why.
:confused:

Strangely enough my niece phoned PCWorld when her Tosh did the same thing and wouldn't come back on - took battery out, with it plugged into the mains, left for 20secs, unplugged, replaced battery, worked perfectly ever since...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I will try the battery idea, although each time it shuts down it is connected to the mains. A couple of hours later it usually runs as normal again although this last time I have left it a couple of days. It does seem to have something of a mind of its own. :confused:

We were normally running ours 'plugged in' at the time.
I do recall that it was switched off and unplugged when I removed / replaced the battery.

:)

Hmm. interesting. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Thanks again.

Hmm. interesting. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Thanks again.

Thought you may have whipped battery off and back on by now - as said outside chance.
;)

Well, its shut down a couple of times since and each time removing and refitting the battery has worked... but why? It keeps losing the broadband connection as well (orange livebox) any ideas? we have a PC and thats OK. Maybe this needs a new thread. :confused:

Well, its shut down a couple of times since and each time removing and refitting the battery has worked... but why?
Loose/dirty connectors? Remove battery and clean connections with a cotton swab with alcohol on the tip
It keeps losing the broadband connection as well (orange livebox) any ideas? we have a PC and thats OK. Maybe this needs a new thread. :confused:
Could get me started on a rant about Orange :LOL:
You say PC ok, are you using it at the same time as the laptop i.e. are you sure that only one loses the broadband connection?
Over the last couple of days I have been losing connection. Yesterday (Tue) orange confirmed a general problem from 11am - now seems resolved
Worth checking this site - http://www.orangeproblems.co.uk/phpBB2/ the moderator actually works for Orange

Thanks for the tips Tony. I will clean the battery connections next time it packs in. The PC seems to stay connected all the time. I tried to register on the Orange forum but it said there was an error with the rcipients email address. Perhaps they are onto him! :(

As the PC is connected all the time it may not be a Livebox issue. Have you looked at your wireless signal strength on laptop?

Have you tried connecting your laptop directly to Livebox via Ethernet cable - by running this way if you get no drop out this may indicate problems with the set up of the wireless connection.

By the way, when the connection drops off, I get the window which says "dialling Orange". This never works but if I go to Yahoo home page it reconnects automatically. Make any sense?

Yes I think it does!!
I assume you are using Internet Explorer with your broadband connection to Livebox and Laptop.

I think your laptop has at some time been set for modem "dial up connection". To check and disable

Goto Internet Explorer icon on desktop and right click, select Internet properties.

Click on Connection Tab. In the box Dial up and Virtual Private Network settings you may see that you have modem enabled. If so Click on the option Never dial a connection then click ok. You may want to consider using the remove button to get rid of the modem (could always be installed later if the need arises)

EDIT: Just found a pic should look something like this when done:
ieconnections.png

Sponsored Links
Back