Large crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large crack above my front door, see pic. I want to repair it before decorating my hall but not sure how to go about it. I could easily fill the crack with filler but i know it wont last so what I want to do is to knock the plaster all off and start again. Any ideas as to how I should go about it would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
When you tap the undeerside does it sound hollow?
Have you got another pic taken further back so I can see the extent of the crack & where the ends are?

Sponsored Links
It extends the width of the door and its hollow underneath thats why I thought it was a waste of time to try and just fill the crack.

Just looking at the picture what I believe has happened is the crack has opened up due to shrinkage of the plaster on the lintel & the lump of plaster below the crack has delaminated; if it’s an older property its likely to be concrete. If there was a crack in the blockwork or a crack in the mortar joint below, it will always return unless it’s sorted out properly but it looks to be directly over the lintel (assuming it’s got one!) & not where the lintel meets the brickwork. If so, the crack will only be plaster deep & providing the lump of plaster is not actually loose, you could try raking out a fairly deep “V” groove along the crack & filling with a flexible polyester filler; it may work or at least you could try it first. The only other alternative is to remove the plaster completely, apply a new base coat & then reskim to blend in locally but if you’ve not done this sort of thing before, it may be too much for you; it will be difficult to get a decent finish let alone an invisible repair.

I would agree with what Rich'd says and remove the loose plaster from the lintel area. Once the blown/loose plaster has been removed and the area prepared/PVA'd, I would bed on, across the lintel (with dabs of multi finish) a length of "Expamet" corner bead, flush with the surrounding plaster level,and when the dabs have set, plaster over the lintel area with bonding plaster and multi.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back