Large Flat roof, no leak, just supporting it's own garden!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, moved into house about 6 months ago and have noticed in that time that large rear flat roof that covers part of kitchen, breakfast room and lounge extension has got more and more plant growth on it.
Some is obviously moss whilst the other type have never seen before (has lots of spider web type roots)
Obviously doesn't look to good from rear windows but am more concerned about extra weight/damage etc.
The roof itself is covered with small stones that i presume were once white but now grey and roof looks like it's had partial repairs around the edges.
Is this as simple as just getting some "plant killing" solution and applying liberally or is it an indication that other things are wrong (too many stones, roof sinking, pitch wrong)
All advice gratefully received and will be digested! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
if it is holding water then the roof is sagging

might be it was built with undersized timbers

might be someone has removed an intermediate wall that was supporting it.

might be the extension was badly built

it is going to need some rebuilding.

if you can pull down some of the ceiling underneath you may get an idea of what has happened

the more ponding you have the heavier it wil be so the more it will sag.

start asking around for a good local builder or (flat) roofer and get them to take a look.

Sponsored Links
you may be right.

I added the first sentence in an edit when I reconsidered :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back