large gap under a door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A customer has a door into a bedroom that has a gap that is in excess of 20mm on the underside. I told her that I could splice in a bit of timber using epoxy resin, but I have no idea if that is legal from a fire regs point of view.

I would rather that she doesn't need another 30 min FD door but if that is the case, then so be it.

Sponsored Links
Why would she need a fire door? Is it a rental etc?

Is it a fire door? If it is a fire door, I don't think you will have any option but to replace it with a correctly sized one. Splicing bits of wood in is not going to be allowed because of the integrity being 'flawed'.

Why would she need a fire door? Is it a rental etc?

Not sure why. It is not a rental. All of the internal doors had to have intumescent strips. Building control insisted that in what will become the top flat, the bathroom door have a perko closer so that the door can't left be open and "block" the hallway.

Sponsored Links
So the building is higher than a normal 2 storey house? i.e. Ground floor, first floor and then another, or more floors?

In that case it must be a fire door, (not sure of minimum rating. Maybe 30 minutes or 60 minutes), fitted correctly with intumescent strips/fire-proof hinges etc and all gaps within strict tolerances.
Personally, I would recommend she gets in a qualified carpenter to ensure if it done correctly. No offence to you, but you did ask if you could splice a piece in, and the answer is clearly no.

So the building is higher than a normal 2 storey house? i.e. Ground floor, first floor and then another, or more floors?

In that case it must be a fire door, (not sure of minimum rating. Maybe 30 minutes or 60 minutes), fitted correctly with intumescent strips/fire-proof hinges etc and all gaps within strict tolerances.
Personally, I would recommend she gets in a qualified carpenter to ensure if it done correctly. No offence to you, but you did ask if you could splice a piece in, and the answer is clearly no.

Three story building- two maisonettes.

I suspected that the answer was no- hence the question. No offence taken though.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back