Large Project - Small Decision

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, our plans are in with the council for our double storey wrap-around extension. To the front of the "side" extension, we will be having a storage shed area for bikes and tools etc. This will be single-storey with a pitched roof, set back about 1.5m from the front of the house.

The total width of the shed will be about 1.7m. Allow 300m for the thickness of the wall and effectively I have a 1.4m gap to work with. I could go for a standard looking timber or UPC door which would use about 900mm, but I'm wondering if there is anything around the 1-1.2m mark which would allow me to get bikes in and out more easily. I also considered a narrow up and over door, but not sure if these are available or may be too expensive.

Does anyone have any inspiration? By the way, from a house style perspective, it is a 1990's house. Currently have a timber front door, UPVC windows and Buff coloured facing bricks.

Sponsored Links
I've recently built a new workshop and installed a 1145mm wide steel doorset (1m clear opening) to make getting bikes etc in/out easier, it also has a low 'DDA compient' threshold. I bought the door from here: http://www.ajsteeldoors.co.uk/12-point-locking-high-security-steel-doorset

I would not recommend an up and over door as they can be easy to break into.

Also, for a single story shed a 300mm wall seems a bit excessive, a 100mm half brick thick wall would give you more space.

Thanks Lee,
I like the flat threshold on this too.

The reason for the thick wall is that it is a continuation of a wall which will be enclosing an enlarged kitchen and family area. Seems silly to spec it down for the sake of a couple of metres.

Sponsored Links
essex is my old stomping ground if your looking for a plasterers give me a call m8 (jon) 07536957847

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back