RSJ for front of property extension. Is my builder right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having an extension done by a builder we don't 100% trust and want to feel sure the front of the house isn't going to collapse - that he's done his RSJ calculation.
We have a mid terrace two storey property that we have a builder doing a front extension on. The extension is 6.5m wide and comes out 2.5m.
The extension extends the lounge, the entrance hall and adds a downstairs cloakroom.
We are due to have a RSJ fitted across the front wall of the house at ground floor ceiling height. It will have to support the front (upstairs) of the house (a cavity wall).
The lounge span is 3m. The hall in the middle is 2m and the cloakroom 1.5m (so 6.5m total). There are already some lintels (for the front door) and side door (where the cloakroom is going).
It was originally supposed to be done as 2 lintels (one across lounge and entrance 5m) and a small 1.5m one over the cloakroom.
The builder now wants to split the longest one in 2 so making it easier to handle as he says it's about 70kg/metre - but the wall in the middle (between lounge and entrance) is only a 1/2 brick wide (10cm). This was only originally going to be supporting the middle of the RSJ. Does this sound ok with people on here? There's enough room for a padstone at each end of the 6.5m span (at least a foot of space) - I'm just concerned about the load on the middle pier.

Sponsored Links
you have submitted plans to the building control office, haven't you?

is it being built in accordance with plans? If not, ask the BCO if the change is acceptable.

you have submitted plans to the building control office, haven't you?

is it being built in accordance with plans? If not, ask the BCO if the change is acceptable.

The buildingregs inspector wasn't concerned about the steel at all when we went over plans for the extension. He was only concerned with things like window openings, wall ties, details of foundations in the drawing. He didn't even look at the steel. He didn't seem concerned with how it would affect the existing structure of the property. This does seem a bit odd!

but the wall in the middle (between lounge and entrance) is only a 1/2 brick wide (10cm). This was only originally going to be supporting the middle of the RSJ.

- I'm just concerned about the load on the middle pier.

You mean half a brick long? 10cm is full width for a brick.

If there is a pier going in under the steel where this lounge/hall dividing wall passes under it, then I don't see anything wrong. As long as the pier has been calculated and correctly built then no probs.
The beam may also be spliced with welded/bolted joints, so that the break in the middle has no effect on it's integrity to act as one long solid member.

Sponsored Links
:confused: maybe the BCO saw that the steel had been correctly calculated by someone and it was "obviously" OK? I bet if the plans had not indicated bearing, depth and padstones he would have queried it.

each steel bearing should be 150mm, although 100mm per bearing is acceptable.

50mm bearing per steel is a bit lean.

the building control officer will want to see at least 100mm bearing per steel.

each steel bearing should be 150mm, although 100mm per bearing is acceptable.

50mm bearing per steel is a bit lean.

the building control officer will want to see at least 100mm bearing per steel.

There's been a new development!
The builders pulled out saying he's run out of money!
It basicly got to the last stage of the build (the extension is built but no RSJ, no internal walls, no floor screed) and he says he's made no money due to cost over-runs and has pulled out. His quote was £19k for a 7m x 2.5m single storey extension (excluding electrics and plastering as I have relatives in this trade). The foundations did have to go down 2.5m to the level of a storm drain invert, and he did come across a huge "dump" of concrete he had to hire a pneumatic drill on - and the brick layer was slow. So now I'm completely in the lurch!
Of course he left himself only £2500 in the last part of the contract (which now of course seems very low) to do all of the final bits (gutters, 3 radiators, floor screed, wall knock down, RSJ)

Might be worth getting a lawyer to write a letter threatening legal action for breach of contract...

otherwise the small claims court for same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back