Single storey rear extension on sloped garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.. looking at buying a house but have to be able to build a single storey extension on the back so looking for any advice from all you DIY experts.

The original house is on a sloped plot so the ground level at the front of the house is higher than at the back by about 1.2m. There are steps leading from the back door down the 1.2m to a slabbed patio about 4m deep to a wall with steps leading to the sloped lawn area.

I’m not looking for a big extension so wouldn’t be looking to go beyond the edge of the patio: a 3m deep extension along the back of the house would be fine. In which case I understand I wouldn’t need planning permission.. although saying that it is an end terrace property so foundations would be within 3m of the neighbours foundations.. does that mean I’d need planning permission after all or is that covered under a building warrant?

On a side note I like the idea of using a clad shipping container as the extension as I don’t need anything fancy in it other than electrics.

But I don’t know about the foundations that would be required on such a plot. The patio is flat so could foundations be dug straight in that?
How do they build foundations that go up above ground level by 1.2m?
Is it a lot more costly that just usual ground level foundations?
I’ve read up that shipping container don’t require the full blown foundations and columns are enough .. anybody got any experience with this?

Thanks for all your advice.

Sponsored Links
permitted development has a proviso: 'it must be in matching material' -so unless the house is clad, it would not be PD.

I have no idea if a shipping container could comply with current building regs.

foundations are simple - a trench is dug down to load bearing stable ground, anything above ground is just wall.

How do they build foundations that go up above ground level by 1.2m?
o_O they don't :!: On sloping ground you may need stepped foundations depending on the gradient of the ground.
Apart from that, do you really want a shipping container as an extension to your house :?::unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back