deep foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just submitted plans for a 6m extension under pd, and waiting for council to approve( hopefully).

Meanwhile i spoke to my neighbour who as a 2.4m existing extension who mentioned that they had to go down 12 foot (its an old extension) to get solid ground for foundations!

Thinking about it, i can see why it may be required - There is a "solid" patio area directly behind the house - approx 1-1.5m above ground level after the patio. (if you look at this image you get an idea
note that the image was for another thread where i was hoping that the height would be sufficient to put a boiler and tank in the ground!)

This patio, my neighbor informed me was made from back fill as part of the house build... and passing though the back fill, then leaves approx 1.5-2m into the firm ground to hit solid ground for strip foundations...

So digging 3+m for foundations doesn't sound like fun, There are trees - but over 30m away so should not affect this...

Garden wise is effectively from the back of the house 8m of patio at house level, followed by about 8m of grass at approx 1-1.5m lower.

So what are my options? was thinking mini piling but £££, would a slab possibly be suitable?

I was hoping to get the shell (foundations, walls, roof and windows/doors) done in about £30k in harrow but seems this budget is well blown out of the water if foundations are going to cause problems.

Sponsored Links
It's not feasible to fig foundations that deep. In any case it would be much cheaper to have it piled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back