Laying a Foundation...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to lay a foundation at the side of my house, but want to ensure that it will be deep enough for any future extension to the house.

I am looking at the possibility of building a single storey utility room.

How deep do the foundations need to be layed?
Hardcore?
Concrete?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Sponsored Links
the foundation dig, in order to satisfy building control, will need to be 1m below ground level or deeper if ground conditions dictate. if you have virgin earth and have no nearby drains, nearby buildings, soakaways, trees or large shrubs, etc, then you can assume the one metre rule applies.

within this 1m trench you will need a minimum of 250mm thickness of concrete though many builders prefer to mass fill as it saves on bricklaying time.

building control have the final word, so all the above is generic or rule of thumb and will depend on local conditions and geography/geology etc.

Err, you don’t always need it but, presumable, you have checked & got the necessary PP for what you are proposing? Even so it will still come under BC regs as noseall points out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back