Large rendered garden wall with no capping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have seen a number of walls locally that appear to be rendered on the sides and the top, this seems to give nice clean lines and I have a large garden wall that I would like to do the same to (9" hollow concrete block with a top course of dense concrete blocks laid flat, about 10ft tall).

I have a family member who has experience doing rendering (I don't), he has suggested I look into self coloured options from a maintenance point of view but unfortunately hasn't used them himself.

From looking around I assume I need plastic or stainless beading, but the self coloured options are still a bit of a mystery to me? Do I have to get in an experienced contractor or can I get this bulk delivered and mix and apply it myself with help etc.. If I go for a more traditional render and paint combo will it stand up to the weather on the top with the right additives? (and what are they)

If anyone could give some advice on where to look and the pitfalls etc. I'd really appreciate it.

best regards

Trevor

Sponsored Links
I know what you are talking about, and iv'e rendered such garden/boundary walls over a timber frame or masonry background.
And they can certainly give a pleasing rounded shape.

Unfortunately, that was in a warmer climate. Over here, for me, there are too many issues of rain and frost for an uncapped top edge.
Even with a good shedding profile, moss and debris will build up and trap moisture.

For what you've got, why not give it a go - use plastic beads where necessary. Catching the scratch coat just right helps.
I prefer a smooth rubbed finish but there are options.

Why not use concrete coloring in the water, dilute to taste. Experiment, and try to avoid having to maintenance paint.

Sponsored Links
just picking up on something there, you mentioned concrete colour - is that a third option? I assumed self coloured came premixed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back