Large Travertine Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am just in the final stages of a bathroom project and am planning to fit large travertine tiles (600x400x12 mm) to most of the walls and floor.

Part of the area forms a wet room and is being tanked with a membrane based tanking system.

What adhesives am I likely to need?
What problems am I likely to encounter?
How many bags of adhesive am I likely to need for around 30 sq m?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before, but trawling through the forums has got me worried that I have under estimated this job ;)

Sponsored Links
Whoever sold you the stone should have provided you with this information.

You'll need a white cement based adhesive designed specifically for use with natural products. Ideally Ardex S20W or BAL Marblefix.

If neither of these area available then BAL CTF3 or Ardex X7 white.

Prime any plaster or plasterboard surfaces with a compatible primer.

Fit the stone in it's raw state and allow to dry overnight.

Seal with appropriate sealant (personally I recommend Lithofin Stain Stop MN). Then grout, allow this to dry then reseal the whole lot including the grout.

Adhesives for the floor depend on construction. If concrete or solid, then any of the adhesives above will suffice.

If wood or tile backer board construction then you'll need flexible versions of abpve and flexible additive to the grout.

You will also require a wet cutter to cut the stone. Hire as good a machine as you can get.

Quantity of adhesive required depends on the condition of your walls as much as the size and weight of the stone you're fitting.

5 bags @ 22kg should be about right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back