Large waste ring nut under kitchen sink drain keeps coming loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seal is fine when ring nut is tight but it keeps coming loose.

Is there a "loctite" or other means of creating more friction between the ring nut and the steel it tightens on to, so it won't come loose again.

How would you do this?

Sponsored Links
Would be a help to have a pic to give an idea of what it is and what the situation is. It sounds like it is an old sink with a metal waste, waste pipe and assembly?

You can use PTFE tap, Loctite thread cord, thread lock fluid etc to lock the nut up and they are all demountable.

Would be a help to have a pic to give an idea of what it is and what the situation is. It sounds like it is an old sink with a metal waste, waste pipe and assembly?

You can use PTFE tap, Loctite thread cord, thread lock fluid etc to lock the nut up and they are all demountable.
Thanks Rob, thats exactly the information I was looking for. It's a new Kitchen. It's been a struggle to get in there because it is tenanted.
I will take PTFE tape, Loctite thread cord, thread lock fluid with me.
These all sound like they will fix it, thanks

Thought I understood it that most thread lock fluids do not work on plastic.

Sponsored Links
Thought I understood it that most thread lock fluids do not work on plastic.
Yup ... agree with that .... I wouldn't expect any new plastic waste system to continually be coming loose, if fitted correctly. My understanding was that it was an all metal assembly.
It sounds like it is an old sink with a metal waste, waste pipe and assembly?

I successfully fixed a similar problem by:
1) slackening off the nut,
2) cleaning the metal threads and mating surfaces of the sink and nut,
3) smearing the threads and surfaces with Vaseline as a mould-release,
4) tightening the nut to within about 3mm gap from the fully-tight position,
5) squirting silicone sealant to fill the gap and letting it set, thus forming a 3mm thick silicone washer,
6) tightening the nut to compress the washer.
Admittedly this method did need a day or so for the silicone to set fully, so probably not an option if your property is tenanted.

Just using some silicone on the threads would act as a thread lock I would think, if given the chance to set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back