laser printer leaving a white stripe OKI B4100

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
yesterday morning it was working fine, but in the evening it started leaving an unprinted vertical stripe, about a quarter of an inch wide, on every page, always in the same place.

I ran a cleaning cycle, and shook the drum and cartridge (I changed the cartridge not long ago, but it is old stock past its date) but no improvement. There was a modest amount of grey fluffy dust that I wiped away with a tissue.

Very strangely, the "Test Print" page looks fine, but emails, PDFs and reports from other packages don't.

Any ideas what I should be looking for, or at?

Sponsored Links
thanks, I tried that (though I could not find it on Device Manager to disable, I went to Printers in Control Panel and Deleted it), then restarted and plugged in the USB, and it installed itself. I also downloaded the driver from OKI to overwrite the old one, but no improvement.

their website said clean the LED strip, which I did. I also dusted the drum roller. No change all round.

If it prints the test page OK, I wonder if it holds that file in ROM inside the printer? Very strange that print sent from the PC has the 5mm white strip. I presume that means it isn't a fault, or scrap of detritus in the printer itself.

Sponsored Links
grrrrrr

found it now.

I had another look at the led array and drum.

I spotted (in a dark trough surrounded by black plastic) at the top of the drum, where the led array slots into a narrow trough above the roller, a tuft of grey fluff caught in the slot. Don't know how it got there. I plucked it out and soft-brushed the slot. It works OK now :mad:

Lucky I didn't fit my spare drum; it would have fixed the problem, but wasted the costly drum.

I can't understand how the test page worked OK.

Back