Laser rangefinder took a bath!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

most logical place to post this in my mind but, I'd appreciate the mods moving it, if there is a better section for it :)

Bushnell Yardage Pro took a dip in a freshwater lake on Saturday.
I removed the battery, took it apart, and left it to dry for two days on the radiator.

I have bought a new (9v) battery, put it back together, and tried it.

It works, but only "sort of".

Normal operation should be:

look through the eyepiece, and view the target;
press the little button, to "range" the target (at this point, the LCD overlay on the eyepiece comes on, with a crosshairs on the target, and a yardage number to said target);
after 30 or so seconds, the LCD overlay auto-shuts off.

Current operation is that, all of the time that the battery is connected, the entire LCD display is on (crosshairs, the range displays as 1888 - i.e. all of the numerals fully illuminated, battery "low" indicator on (2 x brand-new batteries tested, on multimeter).......)

I'm hoping it's some sort of temporary short somewhere, perhaps a drop of water on the internal of the "on" button, rather than something terminal.
The "on" button is a flat piece of clear polythene-looking stuff, with four tracks on a clear ribbon, leading to the PCB; I can't dismantle the button, to see if it has any obvious shorts (or is even jammed in the "on" position").

Any ideas on the way forward?

TIA :)

Sponsored Links
Brigadier, good evening.

A friend of mine had a similar problem with one of these devices.

You could try a partial dismantle [again] then place the disassembled bits into a bag or a deep bowl full of dry rice? then await results?

Ken

Brigadier, good evening again.

Another possible candidate to assist?

Aerosol compressed dry air.

May be worth consideration?

I participate in a sport where compressed diving air is used, i do not dive? but the pressures are quite large and the air cannot be guaranteed to be "Dry"

These cans of compressed air are indeed dry, it may be that using one of them will be faster than a load of Pudding Rice?

Ken

Sponsored Links
Here's a thing...

There's a mad scientist-type guy who has a shop over the road from one of my offices.
Looks like a dumping ground for everything from tvs, to golf trollies.

He's going to have a look at it, and let me know in a week.

He reckons, for water damage, rinse through with distilled water, dry thoroughly, then cross your fingers.

Here's a thing...

There's a mad scientist-type guy who has a shop over the road from one of my offices.
Looks like a dumping ground for everything from tvs, to golf trollies.

He's going to have a look at it, and let me know in a week.

He reckons, for water damage, rinse through with distilled water, dry thoroughly, then cross your fingers.

Back