Last rafter before dormer doesn't touch the ridge beam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if my terminology is wrong. Checking for leaks in the loft and noticed the last rafter before the side of the dormer conversion doesn't touch the ridge beam. See attached.

It's been like this since the previous owners had the dormer added in the 1980s so it's seemingly been "fine" for the last forty years, but just wanted to check in with others on whether I should be concerned or not. Will keep an eye on it regardless!

Annoyingly, I can't inspect the other side as the loft access that side is all behind plaster and panels as it was incorporated into the room, so this is the only one I can check.

The other two rafters that go between the dormer and the gable end all connect to the ridge beam, so it's still supported as far as I can see. Outside the house looks fine, the ridge is straight and true. this specific side all looks level and straight (bar some very minor lifting of the end verge that I'm investigating)

Appreciate any help or advice people may be able to give!

Included a photo of the outside section of roof to show it appears to be straight and true by my eyes

Attachments

• PXL_20231101_210155695.jpg
    PXL_20231101_210155695.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20231101-212436~2.png
    Screenshot_20231101-212436~2.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
On this kind of design the ridge (sitting on a gable end) is supporting the rafters not vice versa. The rafter in question is part of the structure of the dormer.

Blup

On this kind of design the ridge (sitting on a gable end) is supporting the rafters not vice versa. The rafter in question is part of the structure of the dormer.

Blup
Amazing, thanks for the information and reassurance!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back