Bent ridge board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of my structural work as I commence my next phase of “learn as I go loft conversion”, I need to add a wooden ridge beam underneath the ridge board for support before I remove the rear part of the roof for the dormer. (Specced by SE).

I got my beam in place today and have now realised that the original ridge board was scarf jointed in the middle and has sagged a bit over the last 100 years giving a slight bow. Would cause no issues unless you’re trying to place a straight beam under it.

At present I have 2 ideas. Leave the beam unlevel, touching half the board, then pack up the other half. Packing at one end would be just under 2”.
The other idea is to set the beam level, which would result in beam to board contact just in the middle area. I’d then have to pack both sides fairly evenly.

I’ve ruled out trying to jack the ridge board straight with the thought of letting sleeping dogs lie.

Let me know your thoughts. Can do without loosing the roof less than a week into the build :whistle:

Sponsored Links
As someone who knows less than you on the matter, my preference would be to keep it level and pack as needed. Purely because the more wonky stuff you have in your build, the harder things are to work out!
If you've retained the SE you can always ask them, as they are supposed to design something buildable.

Traditionally, things are built level and plumb, not at random angles
You see, builders are stuck in their ways…. Needs a new kid on the block to rethink things.

All not as bad as I thought. After a morning of ponder I decided to put my back into it and jack the beam up as hard as I could and reassess. The joint is more like 2/3 the way along. That 2/3 is damn near level and the ridge board sits nicely on the beam. Bubble just kissing one line on the level. So at the far end I’ve had to pack 1”. Bunged loads in tapering to near bugger all just before the joint.

This crisis averted. Stay tuned for the next.

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit puzzled by your wooden ridge beam as they are normally specified as steel if your going to have a dormer? Glad to here you made it passed your first drama!

I'm a bit puzzled by your wooden ridge beam as they are normally specified as steel if your going to have a dormer? Glad to here you made it passed your first drama!
Getting an appropriate steel in on my own would be very hard. The wooden beam is 3 300x50 timbers bolted together. So pretty much 300x150. Getting the the 6m lengths up the scaffold and through the roof needed me to take off the safety flip flops and move to safety crocs.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back