latex self levelling compound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i used some of this recently on my floor, but the finish wasn't as i had expected, the product was fairly stiff in consistency and didnt want to level out readily. I am going to be putting another layer down over some underfloor heating and wondered if it would have any effect if i added more of the latex liquid to the mix .would this affect it in any way or just make it dry slower. i used it in the quantites as instructed on the packet, one bottle of latex to one bag of powder.

any help appreciated

Nick

Sponsored Links
Hi Sparky,
It depends on the manufacturer but I think you'll find that most floorlayers add more latex, you should mix to get a smooth, creamy consitancy, as you mix lift your mixing stick out of the bucket and the excess shouls run off it creamily :confused: . Don't make it to runny though, and if the screed turns white as your spreading it then it means you have too much latex in it (which is rising to the surface). If you were buying say 4 bags of powder you would want 5 bottles of latex...this is not as per manufacturer's instructions! :eek:
Latex screed is NOT self-levelling, it has to be trowelled smooth.
Some tips...On a rough floor if you apply a heavy mix first, wait an hour or two until its dry enough to walk on but still damp...then apply a lighter mix it will spread and smooth out much better. Also as you screed take a plant atomiser spray and spray into the air over the screed, the mist will fall onto the surface of the screed and help a bit to level out trowel marks...don't do this too much though as too much water will affect the mix. Also professionals rub the surface down with a carborundum stone once its dry to smooth out and remove the wee bits that always appear + trowel marks.
Adding more latex won't affect the drying time too much.
Good luck.
Jim

Just a query: what's the temperature of the underfloor heating (if it's already in working order, you didn't tell that)?

Hi thanks for the information Jim, i will try watering it down a bit and see how we go with that . The underfloor heating is electric so doesnt get too hot, the latex is flexible anyway and says its suitable for use with underfloor heating so thats ok , i will be attempting the latexing tommorow, so will let you know how it goes, fingers crossed

Nick

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back