Lathe plaster strip between floors on stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pic shows hallway wall, after wallpaper stripped.

Between ground and first floor, the walls have beams running the length of wall, like a course of brick, but wood, as a base supporting the first floor joists. That is an internal wall.

House is 100+yrs old.

Here is a pic looking up the stairs at the wall.

20210222_213055.jpg

The previous occupant made a poor polyfilla repair decades ago before papering, which was obvious through the paper, and now the orignal lime plaster is blowing /crumbling around the filler.

House was empty/unheated (stat was set to 4 Celsius) for several years before we moved in.

I assume the blowing only here is due to brick/wood expanding/contracting at different rates as temp and humidity fluctuated.

My gut feeling is remove the plaster and lathes, infill with plasterboard and skim/feather this into the original plaster (that is solid)?

Or would it be preferable to remove the plaster/filler on the lathes, and reapply plaster on to them? I dont think so due to the wood/brick expansions differences.

Please advise and thanks for the help

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
jacko555, good evening.

Best way is to remove the Lath and replace with Plasterboard. you will need to install timber battens to act as a support for the P/Board, then skim and feather in.

Ken,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back