Lawn Mower Drive Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been given a Honda HR1950 Lawn Mower with a roller at the rear. The engine works fine. The rotory cutting mechanism works fine, but the roller drive clutch just doesn't engage. I can see the clutch cable linkage moving, and between the engine (gearbox?) and the roller I can see a spindle pivoting when the clutch lever is moved, but without dismantling the whole thing I have no idea how the clutch itself works. Any ideas as to what may have failed?

Sponsored Links
Aaargh if this is the machine I'm thinking about, there is a direct drive from the engine to the gearbox above the axle.
Its a fairly simple dog drive engagement, which means that the machine should be pushed forward slightly when drive is engaged.
If you're happy with the cable operation, and the arm that pokes out of the gearbox, I'm afraid the fault is internal within the box.
If you can post back with the type suffix (2 or 3 letters) I may get closer!
John :)

The model is a QX. I was amazed to see that the year of manufacture is 1993 - it is in very good condition - bright chrome on the handles, smart paint, and very clean control cables and adjusters. Are spares still readily available?

Have a look at www.lingshondaparts.com for exploded diagrams and prices etc - obviously its up to you to identify which part(s) are needed.
You can order direct from them, or from any garden machine repairer who is on the ball.
Pricey though!
John :)

Sponsored Links
They are really good mowers, great engines and well built but as with all driven rollers the gearbox is the real weak link.

Can often be a few hundred to fix, less of a problem when its used commercially is a year old and you bought it for a grand.

More of a problem when you bought it second hand for a couple of hundred.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back