Lawn Mower motor component - what is it? (photo)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My small new rotary electric mower keeps cutting out at the slightest tufty bit of short grass, or even a lump in the lawn surface. It seems to be way too sensitive. When there is a small drop in motor speed - NOT labouring, just a slight 'working a bit harder' lowered motor note that you get from time to time, it clicks 'off'. Its only a 1000W cheapy, but I'm not asking it do do tall grass or wet grass, or anything that should be better tackled by a strimmer
I'm guessing the yellow component shown on the photo and inserted in the 'live' line input, must be the culprit. It normally sits in a slot atop the blade housing. What does it do? Is it measuring vibration, noise or electrical stresses? And could it be faulty and easily replaced?
I guess this might be better placed on the 'Gardens...' forum, but figure one of you sparky pros could nail this better that a green-fingered chap.
So - what is it? And what does it do?
mower-motor-component.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's a capacitor. Not for messing vibrations, more to do with starting the motor.

Not even that. The motor photo suggests it has a commutator and brushes and as such may be termed a "universal" type motor. The yellow comonent is a capacitor and I would have said it's only there for electrical noise suppression. However its value of 0.22μF suggests it serves some other purpose. Generally they fail by letting out the magic smoke and either swelling or turning black so I doubt it's the source of the problem.

Can you supply advice on how long it takes to reset after cutting out. Is it immediate or do you have to wait for several minutes.

Is your "lawn" full of moss by any chance. If so this will place severe load on any type of mower.

Are you trying to 'scalp' the lawn.

If you supply make, type and model number of lawnmower you might get a bit more constructive assistance, otherwise it's a guessing game.

Sponsored Links
Well, its a Wickes supplied LandxCape 1000W 32cm jobby. Cost £39.99!
After it cuts out, you just have to do the 'press button and close lever' procedure, and it restarts immediately.
It's set on the highest cut setting - 55mm. There's no moss on the lawn, just scrappy grass.
It is a 'brush' type motor with exposed copper rotor.

Thanx 2 all

£39.99, 4 wheels, 10metres flex and a daisy-copter, what more do you want..
If you look at the reviews they suggest it's OK for trimming but no good for long stuff. So you've got what you paid for.
If you want to be really brass-necked take it back under warranty and get another one for free (it could always be a defective overload device)

Check your rights first.

ISTR that if you accept a replacement you are no longer entitled to a refund, so if the replacement is also sh¡te....

But I could well be misrememberifying that.

I guess you get what you pay for...the first one conked out completely within a month. wickes replaced it with this iffy-copter! I guess I'm stuck with it :(

That's a suppression capacitor to prevent interference with TV's, radios etc. It has no influence on the motor cutting out, this is usually activated by a thermal overload held in place next to the windings. (It may be tucked out of sight inside the motor body).

If this is a direct replacement for the same model you originally purchased, and it has failed due to the same fault, you are entitled to a refund as the equipment is 'not fit for purpose'. i.e. it won't cut grass of a normal length. I would suggest taking a photo of your lawn to prove you are not trying to hack down a jungle with it. :)

I doubt it's a thermal overload within the motor on the basis that the machine instantly restarts by pressing the button. More like a magnetic trip device but even that seems a bit technical for a <£40 machine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back