Lawn problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum wanted gravel up and grass reinstated so that was done last year. My brother sowed the grass seed and I can only assume that he didn't shake it before sowing - because the lawn is a disaster of patches.

Most of it is short grass that doesn't seem to grow much but there are big patches of a really thick dark green grass that grows prolifically - within a fortnight, we nearly lost the dog in it it had grown so much. It looks awful.

We don't have the energy to be trying to dig it all up to reseed it - in a fit of desperation, I suggested she just weedkiller it and start again next year - is this the only solution - would it even work or is there something else we can do?

The first pics are just after it was cut and the second pics are just over a week later

Attachments

• Photo0403.jpg
    Photo0403.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Photo0404.jpg
    Photo0404.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Photo0405.jpg
    Photo0405.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Photo0419.jpg
    Photo0419.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Photo0420.jpg
    Photo0420.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Photo0421.jpg
    Photo0421.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 123
Sponsored Links
Might there be a dog peeing on it? That can lead to fast growing patches.
If you kill it all you'd still need to rotivate/dig it up/turn it over before re-seeding anyway, so perhaps focus on the slow-growing patches: add some fertiliser/compost and overseed with some quality grass seed to grow amongst the existing?

No need for weed killer. As said if dog is not a problem, its probably the soil.
Try just over sowing, its the easiest to try, NOW is good for sowing grass seed.

The dog only pees in one spot - and that's a dead tree. When we got the topsoil and got it all nice for sowing the seed, we were plagued with neighbour's cats using it as a litter tray.

The fast growing bits are a nightmare - cos they're growing so fast!! LOL

If we oversow, does the ground need raked or dug over before hand, or just sow the seed as is?

Sponsored Links
Scarifying or light raking would help, but dont go ripping out what grass is there. As Diyisfun says, right now (September) is perfect time to sow. Mix the seed with some quality topsoil and/or well broken down compost

As said the fast patches are animal urine. fertilize the whole lawn evenly using a spreader and some autumn fertilizer. When overseeding accompany it by top dressing with a mix of 1 part grit sand 1 part top soil. This will help give the seed a little cover. It can be applied and then run a course yard brush over to work it in.er a

Watering frequently but lightly will help the seed germinate. Then after it has sprouted water more generously less often.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back