Lawnmower hayter harrier 56 with briggs stratton Intek edge engine - issue won`t accelerate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I purchased a large roller mower which was sold as spare repair non starter.

I cleaned up carburettor with a cycle of ultrasonic cleaner and also used some wire and carb spray to make sure was well cleaned.

put it back and start but won`t accelerate and seems to be misfiring with sparks from the exhaust.

Any idea what wrong with it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try a new spark plug first but if still no joy there is a chance that the flywheel to crankshaft key has sheared, so the ignition timing is lost.
Not as uncommon as you might think!
The flywheel has to come off to be certain of course but it is worth checking.
John :)

Just wondering, if the flywheel issue would stop the engine to rev or only spark.

At moment engine won`t rev up and spark.

We know changing flywheel wouldn`t be cost effective so was just hoping if the issue is elsewhere. can we exclude the carb and a new one will not fix the issue?

Thanks for being a pain

Sponsored Links
We know changing flywheel wouldn`t be cost effective so was just hoping if the issue is elsewhere.

What was suggested, was the flywheel 'key'. It's just a small piece of steel, called a woodruff key, which cost pennies each.

'At moment engine won`t rev up and spark.' I'm not sure what you mean by that - it obviously must be sparking, or it would not start at all.

If the engine is chuffing black smoke, is the choke flap shut?
This doesn't explain any sparking from the exhaust of course.
Next point - did you connect the rods from the governor to the carb correctly?
If the flywheel key has sheared, the flywheel should be fine.....however, there may be some slight burring around the key slot on the crankshaft - easy to sort with a fine file.
John :)

Back