lawnmower runs but will not drive blades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, my uncle has a Suffolk punch 14sk mower. It starts and runs fine however when you engage the drive or the blades nothing happens.
The flywheel turns fine until you engage either the drive or the blades then it stops turning. The motor still runs and ticks over.
He probably has (really) old fuel and the air filter needs changing, would this cause this problem.
My uncle is 89 and knows best so won't let me take apart to clean the carb.
Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
If it's a reasonably recent Suffolk with the plastic drive gear cassette then check that for damage......or are you saying the motor stalls when you try to engage the blades ?
John :)

Hi John,
Not sure on age but it does have plastic drive gear which seem ok.
The motor doesn't stall, when you engage the drive or blades nothing happens.
I took the cover off to look, the flywheel turns as it should but when you engage drive or blades the cable pulls the drive belt over and the flywheel stops turning as if there isn't enough power to turn it.
Motor keeps running and doesn't stall.
release the drive and the fly wheel starts to turn again.

From your description, I would think the centrifugal clutch, on the left side of the engine when you are using the machine, isn't working correctly.
Can you give me a photo with the tin cover removed, do you think?
John :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back