Suffolk 14s mower won't idle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Suffolk 14s mower(1996 model),is now running well but wont tick over ,it runs at high revs but won't "throttle down". I've stripped and cleaned the Delorto carb,new plug,adjusted and lubricated all the linkages on the throttle.The cutting cassette is removed for sharpening,will this have any influence on the idle? Not sure about the positioning of the spring connecting the cable to the carb.
Any suggestions welcome!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The spring will make a difference, if you disconnect the spring and cable can you control engine speed by moving the butterfly linkage by hand? There is a screw jet (usually) on the side of the carb for adjustment? And its always good to have the air filter in place while adjusting.

If the engine just cuts out at low speed then its a pilot jet obstruction in the carburettor......could you possibly post a pic of the carb itself?
John :)

The spring will make a difference, if you disconnect the spring and cable can you control engine speed by moving the butterfly linkage by hand? There is a screw jet (usually) on the side of the carb for adjustment? And its always good to have the air filter in place while adjusting.
Thanks
Only have a mixture screw and throttle screw (which I've backed off).air filter is in and new.Will run the engine without the cable link off and advise,need to get a new plug today.

Sponsored Links
If the engine just cuts out at low speed then its a pilot jet obstruction in the carburettor......could you possibly post a pic of the carb itself?
Thanks
The engine doesn't cut out,it just won't slow to idle from full revs.
How do I post a picture?

Mursal
Sorry
Typing error!,should read "will run the engine without the throttle link attached"

If the engine won't return to idle, look for bent / incorrectly fitted throttle rods from the governor or the throttle stop screw (external / spring loaded) has been turned in too far.

If the engine won't return to idle, look for bent / incorrectly fitted throttle rods from the governor or the throttle stop screw (external / spring loaded) has been turned in too far.
Thanks John
Will try all the holes on the governor,throttle screw is backed off fully. Should the linkage spring be slack?
Can anyone tell me how to upload photos to my post?

You could try revving hard and just pull the choke, any blockage in a jet might just get sucked clean.
Would you have an air leak in the inlet manifold, bad gasket/crack?

Nice pics :p
I have to say, that linkage looks ok, but is there any possibility of the throttle rod locating in the other hole? Purely a guess.
When the engine is stopped, the governor should hold the carb throttle on nearly full.
Have you checked the pilot jet setting? I think its in the carb casting, opposite to the fuel inlet. It should be 1 1/4 turns out from fully in.

An engine running away like this is usually the sign of an air leak in the inlet somewhere. Have you checked for leaks/secure fixing of the carb and manifold?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back