Hayter 10/30 mower with 10hp B&S engine, will not idle,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been messing around with my old mower, which has a new battery, clean spark plug, clean in line fuel filter ( and new fuel lines to carb), clean carb bowl and air filter.
It starts with no problems at all, just seems to only run well when the throttle is set at its max, just below choke; when I try to slow things down, it runs erratically, and just wants to give up the will to live.
It would be great if someone can help me with this.
The engine was manufactured in 1999, and the mower has been in a lean too shed since around 2003. Currently the only issue is getting the engine to run better, so any ideas to help would be great.

Sponsored Links
If the engine won't tickover, it means that a pilot jet in the carburettor (which is only used when slow running) is obstructed......
I would think your machine has the Briggs Flo-jet carb, which is easy to dismantle, but you'll need an aerosol of carburettor cleaner and preferably compressed air.
If you've had the float bowl off, the jets you will initially need to inspect are directly above the central bolt.
John :)

Hi John,
Will have a go at cleaning them, once have grabbed some carb cleaner; the air line is not an issue; thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back