Lay decoupling mat under porcelain tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having an extension built where the floor is going to contain a water, underfloor heating system. The UFH pipes are going to be bedded into concrete screed with porcelain tiles laid on top.

I went to a tile shop recently looking for porcelain tiles and the very knowledgeable shop assistant strongly recommended that a decoupling mat such as https://www.heatershop.co.uk/dural-durabase-ci-decoupling-mat-10-sqm-10m-x-1m-roll is laid under the porcelain tiles to prevent any chance of the tiles cracking due to the UFH.

Would it make sense to lay this decoupling matting? Would it slow down/reduce the heat output of the UFH?

Sponsored Links
I used decoupling (Ditra 25) for some outside porcelain tiles on a concrete raft because I expect the concrete to move slightly with temperature. So far so good. I doubt it would make much difference to UFH. The mat is quite thin itself and in effect what happens is that the tiles are glued down to little pockets of wedge shaped adhesive enclosed in the mat structure - no thicker than normal tile cement bedding. These little pockets can move about slightly as they are separated by little air pockets within the mat structure.

The mat itself has a thin fabric backing which is used to glue the mat to the floor material keeping the internal air pockets free.

Thanks @mrrusty. I am also looking to have the decoupling matting laid on a concrete raft for an outside patio and then porcelain tiles laid on top. Did you have any movement joints on your outside patio?

Yes, use a decoupling mat, for UFH with tiles. You want notice any slow down of the heat.
I also used Ditra, it's not cheap, but I had no hassle installing my own.

A couple of years later, I have noticed there has been some expansion/contraction at the edges of walls (1mm or so), so the floor does move when on/off.
I've had no tiles loose/pop off.

Sponsored Links
No, mine is only about 4 x 3.5 so no joints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back