Laying 21mm engineered oak for the first time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, first post on here so if I make any mistakes apologies in advance.

We have just had an extension/orangery put onto our house and i was looking around for someone to fit our floor but after getting quoted from between £800 - £1200 just to lay it I thought I'd give it a go myself.

Right, what tools will I need? Clamps? Spacers? Tapping block and mallet? I have a skill saw do I need a chop saw? I have knee pads.

Also we have electric UFH in the extension so what underlayment should we use, the other half of the room doesn't have UFH so I'm thinking of going for a different underlay there, something with better thermal rating.

There's no skirting in the room am I correct in assuming I need to leave 10mm from the walls?

The room size is 37sq m approx and has a concrete sub floor. View media item 67194[/img]

Sponsored Links
Hi,

How long has your concrete floor been down? A general rule of thumb for concrete drying times is for every 1” (25mm) depth of concrete, 1 month’s drying time should be allowed. Check that your floor is completely level and flat.

I'm not familiar with engineered wood floors as I fit laminates. How are you installing the flooring? Is a click system, so will be floated or a glue down system?

You can buy a floor fitting kit for about £10 or so, which consists of spacers, a tapping block and a pull bar. Other tools you will need: try square, tape measure, jig saw, mitre saw, hammer/mallet

cheers mr_vampy.

the concrete has been down for over a month now.
the wooden floor will be T&G and will be a floating floor.

how can i check if the floor is completely flat? it looks flat to the eye, there are no obvious dips.

what underlay would you recommend for flooring with electric underfloor heating?

Sponsored Links
To check if the floor is flat and has no high or low spots, just use a long straight edge.

Unfortunately, having never laid flooring over UFH, I am unable to advise you what underlay to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back