Laying 22mm chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to lay a load of 22mm chipboard flooring. I've watched a few Robin Clevett videos and I'm going to copy his method. Basically glue the flooring to joists with PU glue and also glue to tongues and grooves together.

But - do the ends of the boards (narrow width) have to land on a joist, or can they be unsupported? I know I can fit noggins, but due to the amount of celotex between the joists - a decent noggin won't fit. I've seen differing opinions on this.

Sponsored Links
See what others say but if it were me I'd do whatever is needed to get a decent support under there - in the form of a noggin - especially if it is in an area regularly walked over.. I'm assuming it's your own place in which case a possible squeak or worse further down the line will be a major pain. What flooring are you thinking of having down? If laminate then an area that starts to flex will end up opening up the joints of the laminate.

Sponsored Links
Some people would say that chipboard is an inferior material, popular only because it is cheap.

Do you mind having a floor that will crack in areas of frequent traffic or load?

Once glued down it will be a hell of a job to repair or replace.

We used 18mm plywood and it seems to be good, although it does flex at the joints. I think even it would in theory need support at the joints.
25mm plywood would be the best, if you can manage to lift them!

We used 18mm plywood and it seems to be good, although it does flex at the joints. I think even it would in theory need support at the joints.
25mm plywood would be the best, if you can manage to lift them!
Agree.

And screwed down for easy access to pipes and cables if required.

Big sheets in the traffic paths and the middle of the room, any small cut pieces round the edges.

DO NOT GLUE DOWN!

Your will never be able to access undertake floor for repair or improvements.

Joints should (actually 'Shall') be on joists if you want a stable squeak free and safe floor. With large sheets it is best to screw down (use shanked screws or drill clearance pilot holes, say 4x45 or 4x50 }1&3/4no8{).

Do not glue down.

I must admit, glueing it down does concern me, but it is the method that Caberdeck endorse. On the ground floor, where there are pipes underneath u will screw it with chipboard screws. On the first floor, the only thing underneath will be cables - no pipes. Glueing down wouldn't be so bad..... plus it appears that the PU glue takes up some of the 'slack' under the joists

Thanks for the replies.

So in the interests of increasing my knowledge I found the YouToob clip I think you referred to; I now understand what he is doing and to some extent why.
I'd question the sensibility of glueing down - does seem to be rather unnecessary.

It would be interesting to have J&K's perspective on this as my skills and knowledge have come from my 'old school' mentor, he is not always up with the most recent requirements.

chipboard

:(

I must admit, glueing it down does concern me, but it is the method that Caberdeck endorse.

one of the undesirable methods people use to try to make a satisfactory floor out of chipboard

some people say I am unreasonably biased against this awful material.

but I have to live in the house long after the builder has been paid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back