Laying a floor in the loft...things I should consider

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just bought a new build house and want to lay a floor in the loft so I can store things up there.

Before I do this I was wondering if you could let me know what I should take into consideration first.

I've just started reading up on the internet about laying a floor and the main concern I have is knowing that the joists can take the weight of the wood and eventually the storage items...not to mention my weight!! How do I find this out and what would I need to do to strengthen them?

Also, I have had spotlights fitted. Do I need to cut holes in the floor I am laying to allow heat to escape, is there a different method or is there nothing to worry about in that area?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve.

Sponsored Links
What size are current joists? probably 4x2 in which case you should be ok to proceed taking the following into account.

Before boarding out lay 3x2 crossways over existing joists, lay them wide side down and space them 600mm on centre (or 525mm gap between each one ;) ) This will help spread the weight of loft floor, increase ventilation underneath and mean you won't have to notch into joists for cable runs etc.

get some teracotta flower pots and place over the downlights. These will keep any insulation* from touching the downlights and the hole in the bottom will allow heat to escape.

*You do have insulation don't you?

Fix everything with screws, don't nail anything or your bedroom ceilings could start shedding chunks of plaster.

Best to buy 8'x2' boards for the loft, these are the most economical.

I'm sure the other guys will add to this.

Deluks said:
What size are current joists? probably 4x2 in which case you should be ok to proceed taking the following into account.

Before boarding out lay 3x2 crossways over existing joists, lay them wide side down and space them 600mm on centre (or 525mm gap between each one ;) ) This will help spread the weight of loft floor, increase ventilation underneath and mean you won't have to notch into joists for cable runs etc.

get some teracotta flower pots and place over the downlights. These will keep any insulation* from touching the downlights and the hole in the bottom will allow heat to escape.

*You do have insulation don't you?

Fix everything with screws, don't nail anything or your bedroom ceilings could start shedding chunks of plaster.

I'm sure the other guys will add to this.

No, you've done a good job by yourself. :LOL: ;)

Good job Deluks.

Plywood yep? Or chipboard?

I'm saving your post as it will help me in the future.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back