laying a gravel drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, currently i have paving slabs in two lines running the full length of my drive with grass on both sides of the slabs and grass down the centre of the two lines of slabs, i am going to remove the slabs and dig out the drive area to a depth of six inches in preporation for a gravel drive, what i want to know is, is it best to put weed control material down before the sub base and what is the best sub base to lay before the gravel and should i put edging curbs down the edge of the grass. all advise would be greatfull :D

Sponsored Links
The paving expert is worth a visit.
The problem I have found with a menbrane is ir doesn't allow the gravel to bed down.
Many years ago I stripped my lawn and laid the gravel straight on the soil. Membranes weren't available for DIYers. I have dealt with weeds with a weed killer and it stays clear now because there are no seeds to grow now.
The second drive was dug out to 6 to 8" and filled with the bricks from a chimney breast. Done very neatly and gaps filled with loose rubble. Laid 4 ton of gravel and never had weed problems.
The third I laid a weed membrane with 2" gravel on top. It still remains loose even after rolling. I think the membrane may be not as good as base but does stop weeds.
The main thing about the gravel is its shape. If its round it will always feel scrunchy to walk, like a beach, without a binding of sand. That's how some drives I've seen have been laid with small gravel. They look and feel ok.
The worst gravel I've seen is small flint. That never flattens.
I have always used a flattish gravel profile and when a car runs over it it flattens quite nicely and hardly sinks in.
For walking on to the front door I have used the old paving slabs set in the gravel.
Take a look at other drives to see how they are edged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back