Laying a laminate floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I purchased some Hygena oak laminate flooring this week from Homebase, the guy told me I needed cork expansion strip around the edge after I remove the spacers, however i have been told before i don't need to add expansion strip just put the scotia over the gap as the floor needs to be able to move?!
Can someone please confirm either way as it is all very confusing that a store like that says you do but maybe I don't?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
setmeachallenge, Hi.

Sorry to say I for one don not believe that you have been fed the correct Information?

There should be a CLEAR space between the Laminate and either the plaster or the Skirting.

If you are butting the Laminate up to a Skirting, leave a clear gap all around and conceal the gap with a Half Round molding.

In general terms, any obstruction stopping the Laminate from totally free movement of the Laminate will result in the Laminate failing by buckling.

This includes fitting Cork, Cork is not flexible enough to alloe the Laminate to freely move, as an aside Cork at the perimeter was a favorite when laying Concrete slabs.

Ken.

Thanks Ken, luckily I didn't start laying it as I thought that was the case. Bit concerning really that these stores can misinform people. Oh well at least now I can do it right!

Thanks for your time and help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back