Laying a new block paving driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to embark on a new project. I am going to replace my existing gravel and weed driveway with a nice new monoblock one. I have read up on everything I need to do (excavate 250mm, 150 type 1, 50mm sand then 50mm block on top.

My current drive is only a single width drive and I plan to widen this to allow side by side parking. This means taking out some of the grassed area. The grass area slopes away from the drive so I will need to build up the existing ground level with type 1. The edge of the new drive will be be roughly 400/500mm above the existing ground level. Will a retaining wall be needed for this or can I slope the type 1 down to meet the grassed area at a gradient so a retaining wall wont be required? If so what gradient would be required?

One other thing, the drive will be sloped so all rainwater will run off and onto the grass in my front garden. I am guessing that this being the case I wont need to provide any drainage?

Sponsored Links
Depending on existing ground type and anticipated compaction of your type 1, you may get away with a 1 in 2 slope, but this would be best if you offset the weight of the parked vehicle away from the edge of the slope. So your slope will cover approx 1m width of ground, but may be best to have a level area at the top so the weight of the vehicle is further away from the top of the slope.

Not sure of the drainage, but you want to make sure you aren't washing out your sand bedding down the slope.

You definately need a retaining wall in my opinion. who wants an ugly slope of MOT. The load of cars will make the drive want to spread laterally so it must be restrained on all sides with kerbs or walling.

You could use a dwarf wall kerb but they aren't terribly attractive.

You should also use a 60mm or even 80mm block, 50mm are for paths and patios

Sponsored Links
Would another problem of having a retaining wall not be that you would end up with a drop next to where a passenger or driver would exit the vehicle?

You need to think of the edge detail you will use, would be good to use a kerb stone to hold the lot in, and also to ensure your adjacent ground level could be that bit higher than your drive to prevent any sideways movement.

But then you may need drainage, a nice ACO drain channel along the edge, leading to a soakaway perhaps?

if you want to do that then use lean mix concrete to form a solid mass rather than MOT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back