Laying a new oak floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all.
First post, but have been reading many of the posts with interest regarding laying a new floor - but never quite got the answers I needed.

I'm looking to start laying a new 130mm wide oak floor this weekend. The only problem is that when we built our house 8 years ago, the existing 18mm chipboard flooring was floated over 50mm polystyrene layed directly on the concrete slab. There also looks to be a layer of PVC sheeting on top of the polystyrene.

My problem is that if I lay the new flooring on top of the chipboard, my floors will be 18mm higher than before, so what I propose to do is lift and discard the chipboard and replace with 6mm plywood. This will make the new finished floor level no different to the ajoining room carpet level.

I'm doing a hallway (6m x 2.5m) and 2 adjoning rooms (3.2m x 3.2m) and (2.5 x 1.5). The wood is laid along the long length of the hallway and I also intend to put a threshold/expansion section in between each room.

The supplier of the flooring recommend I do not glue the tongue and groove, but should glue the flooring to the plywood.

My concern is on the expansion and the method. Why are they recommending glueing the wood down to the underfloor? Many of the posts I have read here say glueing the t&g and "floating" the floor is the best way to go. If I glue the wood to the ply, do I have to butt the ply together or do I leave a small gap to all for differing rates of expansion.

Finally as I'm looking to do this job shortly, what expansion should I leave. Its neither winter or summer. I've read I need to leave 20mm expansion all round - does that reduce the later in the season?

Sponsored Links
IMHO you can install the wood floor using the floating method glueing the T&G correctly, as long as your subfloor is level and sound.

The widest width of the rooms you mention is 3.2m = minimum 13 mm expansion gap all around. (3.2m x 4mm expansion per meter wide)

And yes, leave a small expansion gap between the plywood sheets. Not doing this could cause creaking.

Thanks Woodyoulike.

I'm still a little concerned that the supplier is not advising glueing the t&g's. There has always been a little bit of "springiness" in the chipboard floor (probably 2-3mm), but I guess that is natural with a floating floor. If the glue is of good enough quality and well applied surely it will flex as the previous floor has done - or is that the point?

The other 2 wooden floors we already have in the house were secret nailed to 2x2 battens.

Also, on the 6m run in the hallway, what expansion do I apply there?

Sponsored Links
It's best to keep the same expansion gap everywhere, so 13 -15mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back