Laying a new service pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While digging in the front garden I came across the incoming water pipe. It's 15mm copper near the house. Presumably connecting to lead?
I think I will get a new one and contact the waterboard. I believe you do the digging for them So can anyone tell me what depth they should be and can I use something like a land drain pipe and bury that so when the water people come along they can feed it through there?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Check to see if it is definately lead, if it is there are grants available to bring a new service to the property, you just pay to connect it into the house

It's 15mm copper near the house. Presumably connecting to lead?
It could all be copper. Check the process with your local water authority, min 750mm deep. You could use a duct specifically for water but it would still need to be checked for the correct depth before backfilling.

Sponsored Links
It could all be copper. Check the process with your local water authority, min 750mm deep. You could use a duct specifically for water but it would still need to be checked for the correct depth before backfilling.
Ta. I didn't know that had to inspect it.

Speak to your Water Company first, mine is happy for you to self lay the service, they will come and inspect and if happy, will sign it off for them to return and connect. Pipe needs to be 750mm deep, bed and surround it in sharp sand to protect from any stones, and be selective with the first layer of backfill.

If easier, look at the Groundbreaker Insuduct to come up and into the property, rather than breaking through the floor internally.

Thanks everyone. Had a look today and seems it's copper probable all the way. I couldn't get an olive over it though. seemed to be a little too thick. Don't think there was an imperial one about 17mm? Had to buy a philmac coupler for a fortune.
Also I think I've knackered the stop cock on the metre trying too hard to stop the flow. Not my best day. If anyone knows how much the water company's charges for that let me know. Cheers.

Thanks everyone. Had a look today and seems it's copper probable all the way. I couldn't get an olive over it though. seemed to be a little too thick. Don't think there was an imperial one about 17mm? Had to buy a philmac coupler for a fortune.
Also I think I've knackered the stop cock on the metre trying too hard to stop the flow. Not my best day. If anyone knows how much the water company's charges for that let me know. Cheers.
Nothing up here (NE) if it's their stoptap has failed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back