Laying a patio, loose stone a week later

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Laid a sandstone patio a week ago and today found one stone which I managed to lift with my hand. The stones were laid on a base of sand/cement which was a full bed laid wet (6:1 mix in a mixer). I found the base to be fairly easy to lift up with my SDS hammer drill. With the larger chunks I lifted off, some I was just about able to break up in my hands. I thought a week later it would be hard enough not to be able to do this!! So I'm a little surprised as I was planning to grout it in the next day or two using EasyJoint which requires lots of water.

So normally how long should I be keeping off this patio? BTW the 6:1 mix was a requirement of EasyJoint grout compound. Any suggestions on what I should do, was the mix too weak or should I be leaving it for another few weeks? I have previously laid a patio on a stronger 4:1 mix and grouted using my own sand/cement mix and had absolutely no problems. Can't remember how long Ieft that before grouting though.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I used to add PVA to the mix to help with bonding.

Id have jointed it the next day ..so crack on .
Pity your using easy joint ,but it will be clean and tidy

I used to add PVA to the mix to help with bonding.

Id have jointed it the next day ..so crack on .
Pity your using easy joint ,but it will be clean and tidy

The easyjoint which I've already used on an existing patio was fairly easy to apply but time will tell how good it actually turns out to be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back