Aspects Easyjoint vs sand/cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My sandstone patio is about 6 years old and all the grouting has gone. I want to re-point it and I am tempted to use regular sand/cement mortar for the job. However, I have just watched the video for Aspects Easyjoint and it does look easy. My main concern is will it stand a yearly pressure washing? Is it as good as it looks?

cheers

Sponsored Links
If the pointing has failed after only 6 years I would be concerned its moving. What is it laid on? And how was it laid? What wad the pointing originally?

Out of about 20 square meters, only one stone has a very small amount of movement, you can't see or feel it but you can hear it. All the rest is solid.
I have no idea what the original pointing was, it looks like sand/cement but I can see it wasn't done properly. Where some of it has come out, you can see it is hollow under what remains, it hasn't been pushed deep into the gaps. Moss has grown on the pointing and when pressure washing the moss and pointing come out as one. The patio is a terrace consisting of a block wall, backfilled with hardcore and limestone then the stones have been laid on a bed os sand/cement. There is a slight slope away from the house for water run off.

Sponsored Links
The word hollow is damning. I would guess that it has been spot bedded and this has left voids. Water freeze thaws in these hollows and blows the pointing. It would be worth lifting a flag or two to check because if it is spot bedded it is pointless repointing as it wont last.

If you did want to go ahead and repoint you would be best off using a slurry as it will flow into the voids and help stabilise the paving. The problem is that limestone and cement pointing are not good friends because if you stain the paving with cement then you cant use acid to clean it off. So if you did use a slurry it would be safer to use a resin one, but then you may end up washing lots of expensive pointing product into voids under the paving

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back